The Expat Freelance Writer

Two months since my last post, eh? Well, I guess in terms of blogging, I've gone on early maternity leave. I have been working my butt off on other things, trying to scrape together as much money as possible before #2 comes and I have to stop. I abandoned my previous policy of only working for Demand Studios when I didn't have babysitting help, and have been raking a fair bit of cash. I figured I might as well since getting a plum assignment from a magazine I've been chasing would stress me out beyond belief right now. With DS I can write or not write whenever I feel like it.



To be honest, I've also haven't posted because I've been rather frustrated with my progress in determining what makes for a successful expat freelancer. My "expat mom's writer's group" has not met since that first time. I have sent out emails trying to set up dates for meeting....and when I got no responses, I sent an email asking whether anyone was still interested and to (at least) confirm that they had received my emails! Only one person responded - she was still interested but was busy writing a novel and wouldn't be available to meet until fall. So...looks like I'll have to find new expat freelancers to meet with. Hopefully ones that aren't beginners and are serious about making a career of it. Where I'll find them I don't know....

Another frustration I've been dealing with is the lack of access to my target magazines. Any writing guidebook will tell you that you should know a magazine inside and out before querying - but for an expat, that's a tall order if you don't have regular access to magazines that you would like to write for. I got a "good" rejection for a magazine that I'd like to write for, wherein the editor gave me her personal email address (not just the general one for the magazine) and told me to send her more ideas. I have more ideas, but I don't know whether they've been covered recently in the magazine. It would be horribly embarrassing and unprofessional to pitch something that has recently appeared in the mag. How do other expat freelancers get around this dilemna? I would love to hear any suggestions.

Still, it's not all bad. I'm still receiving checks for articles written in the past year. And in addition to DS, I've been writing the occasional travel article for the blog at Venere.com , which has been good for making a little extra money and learning more about Paris. And most fun of all, since I've decided to not send out anymore queries until well after the baby is born (which should be next week, God willing), I've been working on a few fiction pieces. I just sent one in to the Write to Win! Contest with Writer's Journal. I guess some freelancers would say just focus on either fiction or nonfiction, but it felt great to do something different. Plus, I say that a freelancer has to be flexible about how she earns her dough! One day I think I'll do a blog post on the various ways a freelancer can earn money...but probably not until after the baby is born!

Wish us luck over here!

19 Comments

  1. Thank you for the nice post ASK2ANS .

    Thank you for the nice post mkjbd .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice blog and learned https://nbayoungboymerch.com more knowledge to read this post thanks for sharing this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verrolyne Training UK is Biggest Website Of Online Courses And Social Care Courses. Nail and Beauty Training Courses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good food is the best food delivery service service providing on-demand delivery. Clients of Good food have access to a unique range of online items and special prices, thanks to the company's world-class direct-to-consumer infrastructure and technology, which eliminates food waste and high retail overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas Countdown is yet another awaited event of the year. Whether Santa exists or not, we love that when someone comes with gifts and happiness. And that is why we want to help you stay updated with the exact Christmas Countdown in 2022. So let's find out how many days until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buy Hydrocodone online Our aim is to get our medications to everyone with a price that is affordable. A high-quality, certified medication assists in keeping everyone in top shape with their health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can visit the Amazon prime day deals page to look into the active deals by Amazon. You will find different types of deals around the page, and these deals will help you win big Prizes & Rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get Ready Only 5 days are left before the Mega Event starts Amazon Prime Day Deals. Go through our blogs to look into the deals and promotions to save money & win rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SS-WEBSOLUTION is an SEO company in Lahore providing the best services for your business. It does not matter whether you are a small business or a big business, we can help you with all your needs. Our SEO Services in lahore Pakistan has been providing high-quality SEO services to our clients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this post your post so nice and very informative post thanks for sharing this post and for know about

    english classes london
    english tutor in london
    maths tutor in london

    ReplyDelete
  11. mobile seo services Page speed optimization is critical for mobile SEO because mobile users expect fast-loading websites. Optimizing page speed improves user experience, reduces bounce rates, and enhances search rankings, as Google considers page speed as a ranking factor for mobile search.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post